Please complete as many questions as you can in 20 minutes. Please do not use the help of books to
complete this test.
1. 'Where is John?' 'He ______ TV at the moment.'
2. '______that film yesterday?'
Do you see
Did you see
Did you saw
Have you see
3. ______a cat in the garden.
4. Tomorrow is Saturday and Maria ______ to buy a new dress.
5. I got a letter from my mother last week but I ______ to her yet.
6. Your shoes are very dirty. You ______ clean them.
7. This hat is ______.
8. It's now one o'clock and John and Paul are having ______ lunch.
9. He opened the door and went ______ the room.
10. ______ broke that plate?
11. 'Where is your book?' 'I ______ it last week.'
12. He's ______ intelligent than I am.
13. I'll wash the car if I ______ time.
14. When I went into the sitting room he ______ TV.
has been watching
15. 'Is there a post office near here?' 'I'm not sure, but I think ______.'
16. I don't smoke now but I ______ smoke 40 cigarettes a day when I was 21.
am used to
17. The radio is very loud. Please ______.
turn down it
turn it down
18. 'Would you like some coffee?' 'Yes, I ______.'
19. She doesn't enjoy ______ fish, you know.
20. The first time you ______ London was in 1993, wasn't it?
21. He didn't let me ______ the piano.
that I could play
22. If you don't mind, we'd rather ______ now.
23. We'd really like you ______ to the party tonight.
24. Why didn't you make him ______ for the damage?
25. I'll phone when I ______ the news.
will be getting
26. 'Are you still here?' You were here half an hour ago. Who ______ for?'
do you wait
are you waiting
did you wait
have you waited
27. The policeman will explain ______ a hotel.
you to find
where can you find
where you can find
28. If they ______ the examination, they'd all be very happy.
29. He drives much ______ than he used to.
30. She had already told me she ______ possibly carry it, so I carried it for her.
won't be able
wouldn't be able
31. I wonder if you'd mind ______ a moment?
that you wait
32. She keeps ______ us what to do.
33. You didn't tell me she ______ have an operation.
will fo to
would going to
was going to
has been going to
34. When she fell downstairs, ______.
she nearly was killed
she was nearly killed
nearly she was killed
she was killed nearly
35. It all depends ______ you.
36. 'Did you enjoy your holiday in Spain?' 'No, I wish ______.'
I'd never gone
I've never gone
I'll never go
I never went
37. In a hundred years' time the population of the world _____.
has been doubled
will have doubled
would have doubled
has been doubled
38. If he hadn't been so tired, he ______ asleep.
wouldn't have fallen
39. Your hair's too long. You really should ______.
have it cut
have cut it
have them cut
have cut them
40. He doesn't know ______ to come or not.
whether he will
if he will
41. That house is in a terrible state. You can see it ______ for years.
hasn't been painted
hadn't been painted
42. When the bank ______ three weeks ago, the police were there waiting for the robbers.
were broken into
has been broken into
had been broken into
was broken into
43. Most English people prefer tea ______ coffee, don't they?
44. 'How did the thieves steal the painting?' 'They stole it from the gallery _____ it was heavily guarded.'
in spite of
45. 'Why did he give up his job in the city?' 'He gave it up ______ he could take up farming.'
46. He was ill so he wanted ______ some medicine.
that I buy
me to buy
wathat I bought
47. This is just ______ I've always wanted.
48. She's very upset. You ______ told her off.
49. 'Sorry I can't come. I ______ with my parents.'
will have dinner
am having dinner
can have dinner
50. The thief ______ away with £1 million.